background

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Not much for news!

I saw the general surgeon who will do the mastectomy part of my surgery. She (and her resident) were GREAT! Super sweet and nice, very reassuring, and I've heard really good things about her as well (always a good thing to have connections!). Nothing to new and exciting from their standpoint. Incisions won't be as big as I had thought so thats a good thing!

Basically the only decision I need to make on their part is nipple sparing or not (with reconstruction later). They think it's safer now but since its a newer procedure, they won't really know for another 10-15 years how safe it really is. I'm leaning toward not doing nipple sparing since it may increase your risk of breast cancer and if I'm doing this big of a surgery, why wouldn't I do everything to decrease my risk as much as possible. And with my radiation, they aren't sure its even an option so again something that plastics will need to discuss and help decide on as well.

I also met with the educator in plastics who educates you on the different reconstruction options so that when you meet with plastics that you know what they are talking about and then plastics talks to you about what your specific options are.

I see plastics Thursday afternoon and so then will hopefully have some answers!

Otherwise just kind of in a holding pattern! Surgery is scheduled for the 9th and I will more than likely be first case since it will be long (around 7 hoursish). The day before I have to go in for a nuclear medicine injection. In surgery then they do a scan to check to see if any lymph nodes light up or are suspicious for any type of precancerous cells in which case they would take those lymph nodes too. They aren't expecting to find anything though since my scans were just all clear!

Still waiting on insurance clearance as well. Hoping to hear something in the next few days!

No comments:

Post a Comment