background

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Support!

Thank you to all of you who have emailed, called, posted, facebooked, and texted offering support! I'm going to need it (both figuratively and literally!!)!

I've been able to talk to two different people here in town who have had mastectomies and reconstruction (one prophylactic, one due to breast cancer) and both have done really well. I've touched base with the CNS on the unit that I will be on who was great and gave me a more realistic picture of the post op time. I've learned from a friend from a long time ago that her family has the BRCA gene and they are going through similar decisions, I've talked to my dear friend who has started the trail of surgeries from being BRCA positive, I've talked to a friend who works in the breast clinic who has filled me in on what all of the options and terms mean. I'm a medical person but I know nothing about boobs or reconstruction! I've been reassured by everyone that this is a good decision and that I am in great care. Every one is just super supportive.

I guess I kind of figured people would be supportive but with a more controversial elective surgery I figured there would be those who would think I was crazy for undergoing such extremes but I haven't encountered that at all! Although when you put my two risk factors together, it doesn't seem elective at all but a necessity. Do it now and hopefully prevent it or wait until I am forced to do it because of cancer. I'm kind of a control freak :) so making it my decision is much easier!

I've done a lot of research online and am patiently or rather impatiently awaiting to see plastics since they have the most say in everything!

I'm getting as informed as I can get and snooping around finding out as much info about my surgical team as I can and have found that I have the best!... minus the resident that I've already requested not be on my team:) I don't want to be the complainy annoying patient but if you don't listen to me and intentionally scare me then I'm just not going to feel safe in your care and well off you go! Thankfully the surgeon is amazing and was totally understanding and has ensured me that the resident won't be in on the surgery and will keep my contact with her to a minimum during the hospital stay. Gotta be your own patient advocate right!

I did get some good news though... Sounds like the main surgery will be the mastectomy, partial reconstruction or full reconstruction, and the full hysterectomy. This is a good thing and means only 1 or two surgeries depending if plastics does direct implants or expanders. I'm assuming it will be expanders but will have to wait to see! Plus if Jared wants double D's the expanders will have to be in for a few years! (for those of you who don't know Jared well, he requested double D's and butt implants... I'm not sure that butt implants are part of the hysterectomy but I'll clarify for him!)

So surgery is scheduled for the 9th! I'm awaiting insurance approval which no one thinks is going to be an issue but you never know!

I've also had an outpouring of people asking what they can do to help. At the moment, I'm not sure! I know we will need some help but I'm not sure what at the moment.

We are going to go buy a freezer for in the garage which we have wanted for sometime and I'll start making meals to freeze. Recovery is estimated around 6-8 weeks and I'm guessing I wont be cooking for a good part of that since my chest and arms will hurt so if anyone is bored and wants to make a meal to freeze we won't turn away food and you can bring it by anytime!

Probably won't hear anything much now until next week but I will keep you posted!

Thank you thank you thank you for all the prayers and support! Its amazing knowing that many people care and are saying an extra prayer for me and my family!

2 comments:

  1. You are an amazingly strong person Jen! I completely agree with your decision and in your position I would do the same thing. I love that you booted a resident off your case, that's fantastic! I've had to deal with residents like that...some of them have no clue or tact! Good for you! Hang in there and of course, let us know if you need anything. Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard about that genetic too-- you're making the right decision for yourself and your family! Anything that keeps you around, and not having to battle with the cancer down the road. Good luck Jenn, I'll be praying for you and your family! Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete