background

Monday, July 11, 2011

Sleep in sight?

Well last night tried something new... I took zero meds before bed, no tylenol, no valium, nothing. I noticed the other day when I tried valium and oxycodone that I was quite relaxed but still couldn't sleep and was still stiff and sore in the morning so it didn't prevent future pain either. So went to bed. Left AJ asleep on the floor downstairs (Jared was down with her, she fell asleep there on her own), and JT was in bed upstairs but apparently at somepoint during the night got up and was yelling for daddy so Jared brought him downstairs too (I obviously slept through it). I think I got around 4 hours of sleep last night (at once) which is a huge improvement. It takes me a while to get moving in the morning but once I am up and going the pain and muscle spasms get better. All three were still asleep together on the couch when I came downstairs!

So I'll try that again tonight, no meds and see if it works again! I think if I could sleep at night then I would feel so much better and not so lethargic during the day.

I started doing some of the stretches today. It made me realize how little I really can move my arms at the moment. Its sore to do the stretches but felt good afterward and even after doing them only once, feel like I got a little more range of motion back. So I'll be attempting those 1-2 times a day.

Incisions and everything are pretty stable and status quo, not really healing much from what I can see on the outside but not getting any worse. I just started having a tiny bit of abdominal pain but I am sure its from using those muscles to get in and out of bed now that I am sleeping in a bit more reclined position. Otherwise the hysterectomy part has caused me no issues or pain or anything! Which I pretty much expected since my last abdominal surgery (hemicolectomy in 2001) went the same way with minimal pain or issues. So at least the hysterectomy double salpingoopherectomy part went perfectly!

I'm getting more use to the feel of the breast tissue expanders inside my chest. They are rock hard, lumpy (since they are empty), and poke out the sides since I am small. My muscles are finally accepting them as being there and aren't fighting them everytime I move my arms. I got new bras. More thin sports bra/half cami type bras that will expand with my expansions. I've got two more on order as well. I also need to order some new scrubs for work that button up so that I can get them on and off as things over my head aren't going to happen for a while since I can't get my arms up that high yet.

I'm working on figuring out what to do for work. I am scheduled to return to work next Thursday the 21st but am not sure I am ready for that yet especially since I just finished hyperbaric this past Friday and am just starting to attempt somewhat of a normal routine. My arms aren't working great yet and I am just so dang tired! I do a lot of computer stuff at work and even blogging for 10 minutes is still tiring. So looking into options on that front as well.

The kids are doing well. They have adjusted fairly well to the new normal of mommy not being able to lift them, run after them, or play in the same way. We are finding other ways of bonding. Last night both curled up with me to read books which was a wonderful feeling that I could finally curl up with both of them and not be in pain. JT (just turned 2) has learned to ask daddy for everything now which is good but kind of sad at the same time. AJ (3 1/2) is doing pretty well except when daddy has to help JT and she needs something at the same time. I am finally able to start helping with more little things with them like getting outfits out, getting a glass of water, snacks, etc. So it's easing the burden on Jared a tiny bit. I even brought a diaper to the park for him! Made it the whole half a block by myself and then sat and watched them play for a bit before heading back. I feel bad that they haven't gotten to see their little friends very much or be able to do all of our normal crazy activities but they are coping pretty well for being so little and not understanding. Hopefully I'll feel better soon so we can at least go on some playdates!

I did get AJ's hair done with the help of Jared taking out the braids, washing her hair, and attempting the first comb through. I did big fat twists with a cornrow around her head and it all ending in a pony tail. It doesn't look great and is pretty fuzzy already so I'll need to redo it soon but it's a start. Cornrows are just too hard right now with having to hold my arms in weird positions for that long. So I'll hold off a couple days and attempt a redo.

I've driven twice now and that is going better than I expected. I'm just a little more cautious around corners and bumps!

We've eaten out a few times and besides looking like a total slob since I am wearing comfy pants (hyst scars still have some scabs and rub) and zip up hoodies (cant get things over my head), and hair combed but not done (can't use a curling iron above my head).. I have been able to make it through most meals. Even met a good friend today and was able to sit for 1 1/2 hours eating and talking and catching up. And drove myself home (ok, it was only a mile from our house but still!).

I am really excited for Wednesday. There is another lady in our area who just had a similar surgery a few days before I did and we are meeting for lunch on Wednesday. Her surgery went very well and she is doing great so it will be nice to meet her and be inspired by her progress!


No comments:

Post a Comment